RT News

Monday, March 10, 2014

Do we need Qatarization

الاثنين، 7 مارس، 2011Do we need Qatarization ? A question we hear from time to time, which makes some of us wondering, do we? And if yes why? And why we don't hear about Americanization, Austrilization or Canadization? Yes we do need Qatarization, as long Qatar is an open market for employing form all over the world. We do need Qatarization for the Following main reasons: 1- To insure jobs and development of new Qatari graduate. 2- To continue development of existing employee. 3-To protect Qatar interests on big companies which effecting the economy. If the unemployment now is zero or close to in Qatar, when Qatarization is stopped and no monitoring program and pressure on the companies to employee and train Qataries , we will get one digit number after some years and we might get two digits number for unemployment, as companies will not employee local fresh graduate and spend on training them, while they could get a cheaper 10 years experience employee from far East. Also companies will always find it better to employee who they can Fire when is not needed or in downsizing with out problems. Until we get a restrictions on issuing work permit visas for any nationality, Qatarization will be a must so Qataries can get a reasonable jobs. Few Qataris who miss behave or abuse the system dose not mean that Qatarization is the reason, there are many Qataris are working hard and skillful and they have been supported by Qatarization, and the Qataris who claim that they don't have work to do, in most cases their supervisor don't want them to get involved in the effective work either because they will ask a lot of questions, and he feel is loosing his time answering them, or he is afraid that if they get to know how he do work with time he will not be needed any more. Having the ambition to become managers, is their right and natural feeling and should not bother any body, managing their country business and protecting it interests is every Qatari goal, and for example if a father own a company I don't think his son will be the coffee boy in that company, but he will be the managing director and that's normal. I believe companies in Qatar has build a culture, which based on employing experienced ready to go workers, so no room for fresh employee who need to be trained, as a result of that we see a lot of Arab non Qatari student who graduate from local universities with GPA 4 can't find work in any local company !! So companies’ culture and mentality should be changed and Qatarization is the driver for that. We don’t hear about Americanization, Austrilization or Canadization. Because no company there can get an unlimited number of work permit visas from any nationality, for that we see the big US companies open factories in China and India, while employing Chinese and Indians in their existing Factory in the States will be much cheaper, and they could protect their technology in better way. What we have in Qatar is a special situation can’t be compared to the western countries as their rules and regulations are different. In Qatar we have three labor markets Expats, Locals and Qataris, if we don’t have the protection and the pressure of Qatarization , we will be compared in wages with the Locals who are from different living cost where MacDonald’s meal cost 5 QR , and in skills and knowledge you will be compared with expats who have a very high wages and by both comparison , we Qataries will be the losers. Bottom line: Quality Qatarization can only be achieved when companies start to feel that they only have Qataries to employee for certain jobs, then they will choose Qataries carefully and will train them seriously, and after all will retain them in a good way, and that will be done with out monitoring as it will be the only way to keep their companies in business. مرسلة بواسطة أحمد الكواري في 12:07 ص ‏هناك 4 تعليقات: =============== Living the Confused Expatriate Life – Part 1 of a Few 16 February 2013 by Ms. Hala Abdoun | 20 Comments Dear Faithful Readers, Thank you all for your kind messages after noticing my absence for the last month. It’s been rough living with limited access at my place and working hard to prove myself at this new turn in my career. I have been writing a lot, believe me! I’ve written a few parts about my expatriate life in Qatar. Let’s start it off with the piece I wrote about identity… Living the Confused Expatriate Life Part 1 of a Few… Identity By: Ms. Hala I have lived the expatriate life here in Qatar for over 8 months now. There’s still a few bumps in the road to smooth out but overall, life is good. I’m enjoying my very busy and challenging job in a new industry. I’m apartment hunting for a third time now that my temp rent will be up soon. I’m following my 2013 resolution to a tee thus far… so life is good! Oh, did I mention I’m a legal resident of Qatar now? Oh yes baby I am! Got my residency permit a couple of weeks ago, now I can do stuff like get a monthly mobile phone service… hehehe Yes, mobile not cell… I’m catching on to the popular Euro lingo here. ;) However, living this expatriate life comes with a couple of interesting confusions. Maybe I just lived in this wonderful tolerant city that is San Francisco to have to deal with this identity confusion that I’m dealing with now. I’m a Muslim Egyptian American expatriate who talks in a lovely California accent but “looks” and talks Arabic like an Egyptian. Confusing much? Apparently so! When I first took on my new job, the grapevines of the office announced there’s an American among them. Aside from the fact that everyone thought the American was getting paid a bazillion dollars (that’s another entry, I promise you!), no one could tell whom the American was. Many didn’t realize until I started talking to everyone, introducing myself and getting the question, “Where’s your accent from?” Say Whaaat? I reply, “I’m American”. “Really?” “Yes, I’m from Calfornia.” “How long did you live there?” “Born and raised.” “Wow…” “Uh huh…” The major problem in Qatar is that everyone here is labeled based on their nationality. Even those born and raised in Qatar don’t even get a Qatar citizenship. They do get treated like Qataris with regards to “Qatarization” but aside from that, they are not even legally Qatari. There’s this thinking that one or the other has a look, has a personality, has a way of thinking or a way of doing… and everyone’s judging you based mostely on those ideologies and stereotypes. There are so many ridiculous notions about every ethnicity out here, it’s unbelievable. Let’s start with being an American girl and how exhausting it is to overcome that terrible stereotype. What’s the stereotype here about American girls you ask? Drum roll please… American girls have non-stop wild parties, get drunk all the time and the rest is flushed down a toilet in the morning. Mind you, many conservative expatriates here have come to this conclusion from the many movies and television shows that “always show you American girls drinking and having crrrazy parties.” *sighing and shaking my head* Finding an apartment under the American girl banner has simply been the most annoying experience of my life, twice! Having to do it so many times now is just torture at this point. I’m repeatedly asked where I’m from and have to answer with Egypt just to get a viewing appointment. Once they see my “Egyptian look” but hear my “berfect ingelesh”, I get asked, “Where are you from, exactly?” After going through an identity explanation, I have to further explain that the idea that us American girls are drunk party animals is just plain false. I’ve even had to emphasis that family will be joining me in Qatar permanently just so that they don’t think I will be in fact living alone and using this “extra space” for my wild parties. *sighing angrily* During my time as a temporary English instructor, I was asked to take on a group of young children. To my hesitation, I accepted and on the first day, disaster. One of the parents whom signed up his very disrespectful son only signed him up because it was exclaimed that the instructor was an American lady. Seeing that I wasn’t up to par, the Egyptian expatriate bee lined it to the director’s office exclaiming false advertisement. What did he expect? A tall blonde woman like the Americans he sees on television. Upon hearing this, I rolled my eyes and walked away before the ghetto San Francisco girl in me came out to bitch slap the stupid outta him! I’m trying my best to overcome this stupid ideology that I can only be either Egyptian or American. I had an argument with an Egyptian fellow a while back over a remark I found quite offensive. He went on to say, “oh, is your American turned on? I forgot you don’t get some of our jokes.” I didn’t even know we could switch between our bicultural identities… WTF? Apparently, there’s a stupid stereotype about bicultural Americans, especially Arabs… Those whom hold an American citizenship think they are better than everyone else, act like they don’t get some traditional lingo and will use their American identity for beneficial purposes. As a first generation born Arab American, this stereotype is so far from the truth, you’ve got to wait for the six o’clock train to get there! Half my family from both sides hold an American citizenship after immigrating from Egypt in the early 70′s and 80′s. They’ve all worked tirelessly, raised their children and grandchildren, paid their taxes, contributed to the American society just like any other immigrant family from any corner of the world. They all deserve the same respect as every other American out there.
I’ve learned over time that I’m not alone in this odd confusion. The citizens of Qatar themselves are also in this weird situation where stereotypes about them isn’t only false, but many act upon it to the point of disgraceful. The stereotypes about Qataris… they are extremely conservative, snubby, spoiled and unkind individuals seeing all others as second class citizens. Not only is this stupidity far from the truth, but many dress in traditional Qatari attire in an attempt to act upon these stereotypes and intimidate others. Yes, this includes bullying people on road to outrageous behavior towards others… just disgraceful!
On New Year’s Eve, a Qatari lady was discriminated against for, get this, looking and dressing Qatari… WTF? According to Doha News, a Qatari lady was not allowed into a hotel restaurant on the said day because it was deemed inappropriate for Qatari ladies to attend. Again, WTF? Sadly, this this happens a lot across Qatar.
I must say however, for the most part, Qataris are the complete opposite of these stereotypes just like any other ethnicity being treated according to whatever stereotype is drawn up of them. Qataris are quite polite, kind and generous. They may be wealthy but not many act like it’s their forsaken right to the wealth or OK the ill treatment upon others.
An interesting example I see all the time: in Qatar, you are not to fuel your own vehicle (similar to the law in New Jersey), you are to stay in your vehicle or go to the many shops at the station while an station employee fuels your vehicle. On any given day, as I sit comfortably while another fuels my car, I’ll see a Qatari gentleman step out of his vehicle, have a small talk conversation with the employee fueling and washing down his car, before tipping and driving off. Every time I see that scene, I see the employee with a huge smile on his face. Many of these employees can use the extra tip for phone cards to call home or even save up for an occasion. Other times, I hear of stories of how someone had their tires blown out and a Qatari pulled over in their designer attire to help out hands on. That I’ve personally experienced personally when I had my car accident. Yes, people from various backgrounds pulled over and offered to help but I gotta say, the Qataris were the ones whom stepped out of their vehicles, yelled at the rude police officer on my behalf and moved my car because, “She’s a lady and should be treated with respect.” Chivalry is still alive and kicking! Even the Qatari police officers at the police station gave it to the non-Qatari police officer for discriminating against me because I was American. “That doesn’t matter, she’s still a lady, have some manners brother!” Thank you. =) I do have to admit that my identity has brought up many a funny conversations. At an event a few months ago, I was blessed to meet some wonderful people. One of them was an elder businessman whom owns one of Egypt’s first timeshare businesses. We got to talking business until I mentioned how the timeshare business in the USA works. Once I stated that yes, I was an Egyptian American, he just stared at me. “And you wear hijab?” I couldn’t stop laughing before it was like, man you just opened Pandora’s box! I went on and on about the wonderful community that is the Muslim American community; from the San Francisco Islamic School where I volunteered to the advocacy work of CAIR to the masjids where I’ve prayed at. I had to stop myself at one point because I realized I was missing my community to the brink of tears. I know Qatar is trying really hard to create a tolerant, diverse and welcoming community. I know it will not happen over night and not by one feeling superior or the other feeling intimidated. I see the problem in Qatar as people coming from the many corners of the world with ignorant, close-minded and/or just confused and conflicted as I am. The thing is, it’s going to take a long time before the ignorant to be educated, the close-minded to be tolerant and the confused to take it all in one day at a time. I’m in the process still of taking it all in, one day at a time. - Ms. Hala 22 February 2013 at 10:53 pm Well I’m glad you did brother! hehehe Thank you for your comment but may I make a few points… 1. I think it’s utterly disgusting this whole categorization… two people, same job, different pay based on ethnicity? Just disgusting… and the fact that you mention that I have it better than most Egyptians makes me feel worst about it. 2. My American identity has brought me a headache and my native English has been good to me, Alhamdulillah! hehehe 3. I guess being bilingual has its advantages socially… However I’d like to note that I don’t associate with others whom are discriminatory or intolerant of others, no matter their background. I’ve cut a few ties with people because of this, including the story I mentioned above. I wish you the best as well Insha’Allah, thank you! Part 2 is coming! =) Ms. Hala 23 February 2013 at 9:32 am Well some rules were meant to be broken, especially one that is as disgusting as categorization! I did get in trouble, I waved the only passport I hold and it was of no help… that’s another story for another day. No I haven’t seen that movie, but I’m trying to find it online! hehehe I’ve only been here for about 9 months so my experiences are limited as well I’m sure. Arabian nights? Ummm… hehehe Exactly, there’s good and bad in all but to make a general assumption is what gets to me. Glad you enjoyed my rants, stayed tuned for more! =) Ms. Hala 7 March 2013 at 5:07 pm My comment, “They do get treated like Qataris with regards to ‘Qatarization’” was with regards to attaining employment, nothing more. I too know of a handful of Qatari born individuals whom are in your husband’s shoes. That was the point of my comment, that they are discriminated against and not allowed citizenship of the country in which they were born in. I’m sorry for what you and your husband have been through, it’s unfair and honestly very disgusting. No one deserves this kind of treatment nor should they accept this treatment upon themselves. That I think is the bigger problem here, that people accept this form of treatment and my advise to them is to simply not tolerate it. When there is no more talent in Qatar, than maybe, just maybe, people will change. Maybe I just have high hopes for humanity… I don’t know. Same to you my dear! =) Ms. Hala 30 April 2013 at 9:00 am I agree, most of that attitude is coming from expats more than the locals. Funny enough, the locals don’t give citizenship to those born and raised in their country which I find quite sad. ==================== Living the Confused Expatriate Life – Part 2 of a Few 2 May 2013 by Ms. Hala Abdoun | 10 Comments Living the Confused Expatriate Life Part 2 of a Few… Marital Status By: Ms. Hala I am not married. I am not engaged. I am not in a relationship. I am single. It has followed me around to no end, even when I’ve moved thousands of miles away, to a conservative Arab country. When it comes to my status here in Qatar, I’ve come across two reactions in people. The first being the cheerleaders. They are the ones with nothing but kind and positive reinforcements. It’s even more astounding when it comes from those I least expect it from. For example, the older Egyptian gentlemen whom I work with that are always encouraging me. In the last four months that I’ve worked with one of the managers, not a day goes by without him always complementing my strength and determination, especially during some of the challenges we’ve faced at the office, for doing what I do. With limited internet access in the past few months, when I do log on, I find a good number of emails and messages via social media from young people whom have noted how they follow-up on my latest Qatar adventures with inspiration. Some of them, already here in Qatar, have blessed me with their friendship. The second being the haters. They are the ones with nothing but stupid, stereotypical and just plain envious words because I can’t find any other reason for their bad energy. These are the people that feel the need to say one of three things: “You’re here, alone? No family? No husband? But why? You poor thing.” “I could do what you’re doing now but so-and-so said men don’t like girls like that and I really want to get married.” “I wish I was you! You’re doing everything I’m too dipshit* to do on my own! People talk you know.” Sigh. After my third month living in Qatar, I just stopped trying to answer to these people. Yes, I’m here alone with the blessings of my family. However, that’s when I came to realize that there are very few people like me in Qatar and most young ladies are living here either with family or a spouse, not alone. I miss my mommy. Please, don’t tell me of how you could do things for yourself if your life revolves around someone else. You people are more irritable to me than those whom keep trying to set me up with this “great guy”. Please realize that not all of us are living up to some odd standard of husband hunting. Some of us actually live for ourselves, have more meaning to life than just finding someone to accept us. I mean you want to get married, great, but life doesn’t need to revolve around the idea. And for crying out loud, if you want to do something, just shut the fuck up and go for it. Trust me, when you don’t do nothing, people will have something to say about it. When you do anything, guess what? People will have something to say about it. Funny thing though, most people don’t give two shits about what you are (or aren’t) doing so I’m still trying to figure out why you even care about the opinion of those people. Sigh. As of last month though, I’ve come across the third reaction that has started to get under my skin. The third being some of Qatar’s policies. Before I go on a rant here, I want to state that I understand why some of these policies are in play, to prevent human trafficking and prostitution. However, there’s got to be some kind of line of reasoning, understanding, common sensing (Is that even a word? Well it should be.) around here. And here’s where my rant begins. Exhibit A: In order to obtain my Qatar Residency Permit (RP), I had to go through a medical screening. Mainly an X-ray of the chest for TB screening and two different blood tests. For those sponsored under employment, the company pays in advance for the fees or refunds you for it while all others usually pay upfront during their appointment. If you are born in Qatar, you don’t go through this lovely experience. The Medical Commission that I was blessed to attend through my place of work was the most disgusting place in Qatar. It starts out nice, divided into a section for the ladies and a section for the men. Or I thought, until I drove towards the ladies section to find swarms of men waiting outside the ladies’ only entrance. I entered alone, passing the many odd stares and glares. Once inside, there were two lines, those pre-paid and those needing to pay. The pre-paid line was empty. Showed the lady at the counter my blue passport, got the up and down look before the lovely question, “You’re here through work? You’re here alone?” “Yes” I answered back smiling sarcastically and annoyed. She kept rolling her eyes as she processed my papers and directed me to the x-ray room. After the lovely experience of being herded like animals and watched by others as I took the x-ray, twice, I picked up what was left of my dignity and went to get my first blood test. Upon looking me up on the computer, the lovely lady at the counter made stupid remarks about me being work sponsored before handing me a few documents plus a little booklet. Not paying attention, I walked towards the exam room where a kind nurse was assisting me in getting my blood test. Having small talk and looking at the booklet because I hate needles (don’t ask me how I got my lip pierced!), I realized what the booklet was, “Prayers for the Dead”. Really? Bitch gave me a prayer book for the dead? Kind nurse laughed at a comment I made as she instructed me to go to a private clinic for my second blood test. I gave the bitch the booklet back stating, “I’m not dead!” Throughout the short drive to the clinic I kept thinking what the hell was her intention giving me that booklet? Am I as good as dead? Or did she just run out of “Prayers for the Living” booklets? Deeply annoyed sigh. Exhibit B: I finally found a nice little apartment, comfortable for myself and my little devil child, Ms. Doha in a brand new gated community. Upon registering and signing, it was brought to the attention of the gentleman handling my application that the contract would be under my happy name. Ms. Doha is having a hard time adapting to the new place. She did her best to get comfy on her first night… #FirstWorldKittyProblems “Ma’am, are you registering under your name?” “Yeeeeeees. I’m the one whom will live here.” “Do you have an ID?” “Yes! Here’s my Qatar ID and my passport as well.” “Do you have a letter of employment verification?” “No, I wasn’t told I needed one when I inquired over the phone.” “You need a letter of employment verification to complete your application.” “Why? My Qatar ID specifically states my place of employment as my sponsor.” “Yes but you’re special.” He joked politely seeing my disapproved reaction. I’ve been told that reaction scares a lot of people. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing so I tried to make a curious face. It didn’t work. Poor guy continued with his charming self, “Company policy requires that you bring a letter of employment verification because you’re a single lady. We’ll extend your booking time and follow-up with you, don’t worry.” I just stared blankly, watching other people register without a hitch. The gentleman assured that the apartment was mine and that he would follow-up with me but to please bring that letter from my employers. I left a little disappointment and fearful I was going to lose this nice place. I had to move out of my place and my lifestyle choice was the reason for the delay? Akh! I have to say that the lovely people of our HR department were understanding and produced the necessary documentations for me within the hour. The apartment company did continuously follow-up with me until I showed up with the letter later that evening. They were generous enough to expedite my move-in date upon knowing my circumstances. People here are helpful towards a single lady, especially if she’s willing to follow company policy. Sigh. * Disclaimer: none of those whom made that statement actually called themselves “dipshit”, but I think they should have. Read: Living the Confused Expatriate Life – Part 1 of a Few Ms. Hala 9 May 2013 at 11:11 am I’m not sure but try looking up some sources on QatarLiving.com or IloveQatar.com. I know there are a few alternative medicine and polyclinics in Doha, mainly near the Villaggio mall. Hope that helps! Ms. Hala 22 May 2013 at 8:56 am Is this a different mall aside from Center Point off the Khor Cornishe? I wasn’t even aware of that. I’ve meet many teachers who happen to live in AlKhor, so far, they all love it. ===================== 23 June 2013 by Ms. Hala Abdoun 7 Comments Living the Confused Expatriate Life – Part 3 of a Few Living the Confused Expatriate Life Part 3 of a Few… Unprofessional By: Ms. Hala I have to admit, being part of a management team in a growing industry in this part of the world has it’s perks. Even though I’m technically an entry-level manager, I’m the only female ever to hold a managerial position in the history of this company. Females in this company are about 10% of the entire workforce. So I think that in itself is a huge perk. I’ve been warned one too many times by colleagues with the phrase, “You’re not in America anymore. Welcome to the Middle East. This is how things work.” Yet I would always remind them that in my opinion, professionalism is universal. You can’t convince me that the lack of professionalism is the reason behind the Middle East’s successful economy despite the rest of the developing world’s economic downfall. It was the lack of professionalism that caused US taxpayers to bail out stupid big banks whom brought our economy to a recession. So yes, I’m in the Middle East – thanks for the warm welcome – but that shouldn’t mean professionalism is dead. Right? Ummm… to some extent. You see, it’s not necessarily where you are working in the world but whom you are working with in the world. Yes, certain cultural etiquettes need to be understood and respected. However, many misinterpret these etiquettes to their advantages. Sounds a little too familiar? This is when I discovered that half the staff, a mix of various languages, nationalities, levels of management, are scared of me. Yes, scared. Lack of professionalism is the culprit here. Here’s the shpeal, I manage the logistics of this global division. I deal in large part with clearing and transporting agents, Qatar customs administrators and global suppliers in over 15 countries including the USA. On one lovely day unlike today, I realized that the term “professionalism” to some extent did not exist in the eyes of some people I deal with on a daily basis. I was only about 3 months into my position and the idea of how my job was to deal with extremely unprofessional people hit me, hard. What the hell am I going to do? How the hell am I going to make it in this industry? How the hell am I going to even last in Qatar? Damn. There I was on the phone with the most incompetent person representing the clearing and transport agents behind the delays for our division in receiving units sitting at the ports for days. Paying customers threatening to cancel sales. Sales team members freaking out fearing losing those sales. Managers scrambling to meet their goals before month end just two days away. Our division simply trying to, you know, do business! It was just me between my division and this incompetent imbecile whom was oblivious to the importance of his work for us. He kept going on and on with this bullshit, one lie after the other in the most unprofessional manner I’ve ever dealt with in my entire working life… I couldn’t take it anymore. I hold two masters degrees in business, I have multiple years of experience dealing with people of all personalities and here I was unable to take this waste of oxygen anymore. I became the very thing I feared being in my career… unprofessional. I just held that phone with a tight grip and gave it to this imbecile, cursing and screaming amongst a culture of appropriate and polite manners. “If your fucking company can’t get my shit done on time, I have 20 other cheaper and more competent companies that can! Don’t fucking bullshit me man because I don’t give a fuck! Just. Get. My. Shit. Done. Now! Do you hear me?” The man on the other line just froze, sniffled and broke down like a two year old kid. He would get it done he said, by the end of the day. I slammed the phone, took a few deep breathes, checked I didn’t break the phone, then placed my hand over my dropped jaw… the entire office within sight had heard every single word I said. I turned around to one of my sales managers applauding me, “YES! It’s about time someone showed them who’s boss! They are always screwing us over!” I just giggled in disbelief as I whispered, “I made him cry.” Some had their jaws dropped while others laughed, “you made him cry?!” The rest continued to give me this wide-eyed stare, unsure what to make of me anymore. Conversing what had just happened, this apparently wasn’t the first time these agents had been delaying work fulfillment. They were behind lost deals and damaged goods in the past. Then, my boss called me into his glass office. Damn. “What the hell is going on out there?” “Ummm, I was on the phone with what’s his name trying to figure out what was taking them so long to get our units delivered. And honestly,” I was trying to find that professional lady, she’s here somewhere, I know it. “I couldn’t help it when he started BSing me so I just gave it to him pretty bad till he cried. I know it’s-” “You mean bitch!” “Hey!” I responded, that the professional lady was now lost forever, or the rest of the day maybe. “This ‘mean bitch’ just saved your ass there. You’re fucking welcome!” My boss just laughed, “Good, thanks! Please keep me posted, we need get these units to our customers ASAP. We have to meet our deadline and goals in the next couple of days.” “We shall, we shall.” The rest of that day, everyone gave me odd wide-eyed looks. Everyone asked me what happened, whom got the wrath of the American. In a few hours, our work was cleared, units were delivered, everything was good. It shouldn’t have taken me being unprofessional, was the thought at the back of my head. By the end of the day, I was shown an invoiced by one of our accountants, “are we responsible for these fines?” Of course things didn’t end there, it got worse. The agents had sent us an invoice for their incomplete services, dated days before the shipments even arrived, with fines they racked up leaving our shipments for days at the ports. When I brought this to the management’s attention, they had a fit. “We need to review all their back invoices.” “This is a matter of principle.” “Hala should be in charge of reviewing all these invoices before they go to the accounting department.” “Right, she deals with them daily, she would be the authority approving whether or not we are responsible for these fines.” Damn. A little irked, I shot an email to their head honco on vacation for like the millionth time that if I didn’t get a corrected invoice, they wouldn’t get paid a dirham (thats pennies for you American folk). He of course complied by sending me the imbecil to my office to “clear things up” the next day. Everyone slyly watched as the guy again started with his bullshit and knowing I might just explode, I took a deep breath and with a loud but very calm tone, “Listen man, don’t fucking start with me again. You guys fucked up and left our units out there for days. You need to own up to that, period.” I found her, I found the professional lady again and this one is awesome! “So you either get me the corrected invoice by the end of the day today or it’s free. Plain and simple, ok?” He just stared at me and when he teared up, he walked away because he had to “take care of work.” No yelling, no scream, just slightly loud and straight in the face. Professionalism at it’s best, I thought, until I looked around again to the wide-eyed faces. It was official, I was the scary person in the office. Damn. “I heard she pushed him against the window, threatening to throw him over if he didn’t get us our stuff.” “I heard him cry when she yelled at him… why did he even come to the office?” “I watched her scare him straight while she sat there casually. He’s so much taller than her and he is scared of her. A girl!“ “Now she knows how things work in the Middle East.” Damn. Like Loading...Categories: In Living Qatar, Job Sustenance | Tags: America, career, cultural etiquettes, damn, female, global, manager, Middle East, professionalism, Qatar, unprofessional, work | Permalink. Ms. Hala 23 June 2013 at 10:14 am Thanks Museem! hehehe It’s just I didn’t want that to define me in the office nor scare people from me but I guess that’s the reality of things here. Yea, that’s why I emphasized that there weren’t even that many ladies here. A lot aren’t sure how to work with one or what to expect from one. Most are nice and quiet while a few are social and outgoing. I thank you for supporting the ladies’, ummm, “professional” manners within the workplace. =D Ms. Hala 23 June 2013 at 11:14 am Agreed, collective team efforts are much more productive than divided teams. That’s one of the things I like in my company, those divides are slowly breaking… keyword, slowly! hehehe I’m not an unprofessional professional… I’m a confused expatriate! Ms. Hala 25 June 2013 at 9:59 am I haven’t flown Qatar Airways but everyone I know that did has had nothing but positive feedback. Let me know if you still need help getting the issue resolved. And yes, LOVE Emirates Air! =D ============== JOB ALERT: Marketing ManagerJOB ALERT: Marketing Manager in Stockton, CA needed! Details: Small credit union looking for a candidate to manage and coordinate all marketing, advertising and promotional projects. Ideal candidate has 1-2 yrs in financial services industry and a BA in Marketing or Business related degree. Compensation is between $45,000-$50,000 but no relocation assistance is provided. Email resume & cover letter to Ms. Frieda Afandi at . Good luck! ==============

No comments: